Dr. Sarav Shah is a dual fellowship trained, board certified Orthopaedic Surgeon. He completed a Sports Medicine Fellowship at New England Baptist in Boston as well as a fellowship in Shoulder/Elbow Arthroscopic and Reconstructive Surgery at the prestigious Hospital for Special Surgery in New York. He has experience with various shoulder/elbow and sports related pathology including rotator cuff tears, ACL injuries, and shoulder arthritis. Dr. Shah has numerous peer-reviewed publications, book chapters, and has received multiple research and education grants. During his training, he gained experience with professional athletes including the Boston Celtics and ATP tennis. He currently serves as a Team Physician for Merrimack College and Brandeis University.
Dr. Shah is a member of the New England Shoulder and Elbow Center
within Boston Ortho & Spine.
Licensure and Certification
2017 Massachusetts, Certificate #271301
2013 New York, Certificate #272781
2017 American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Part I
American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons (ASES)
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS)
American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
J. Robert Gladden Orthopaedic Society (JRGOS)
Education: Drexel University School of Medicine, 2012
2012 M.D. Drexel University School of Medicine
2009 B.S. Biology Villanova University
Post Doctor Training:
2018-2019 Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY
Fellow, Orthopaedic Shoulder/Elbow Surgery
2017-2018 New England Baptist Hospital Boston, MA
Fellow, Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
2012-2017 Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine New Hyde Park, NY
Resident, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
2019 JRGOS Education Grant Award (Advanced Shoulder Arthroscopy- Val d’Isère, France)
2018 AOSSM/ON Foundation Education Grant Award
2018-2019 AOA Emerging Leaders Program
2017 J. Robert Gladden Orthopaedic Society International Traveling Fellowship Award
- Mid-Atlantic Shoulder Elbow Society Research Grant 2018
- J. Robert Gladden Orthopaedic Society Research Grant 2017
Mission Surgeon, CURE Kenya, Kijabe, Kenya. 2017
- Shah SS, Mithoefer K. Current Applications of Growth Factors for Knee Cartilage Repair and Osteoarthritis Treatment. In Press. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2020.
- Shah SS, Fu MC, Ling D, Wong A, Warren RF, Dines DM, Dines JS, Gulotta LV, Taylor SA. The comparative impact of age on postoperative clinical outcomes following anatomic total shoulder arthroplasty and reverse total shoulder arthroplasty. In Press. Orthopedics. 2020
- Shah SS. Rotator Cuff Repair over Non-Operative Management: The Prudent Choice for Symptomatic Rotator Cuff Tears in the Shared-Decision Making Model: Commentary on an article by Amos Song, MD et al.: “Comparative time to improvement in nonoperative versus surgical treatment of rotator cuff tears”. In Press. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2020.
- Shah SS, Ferkel E, Mithoefer K. High Incidence of Shoulder Labral Tears Associated with Acute Acromioclavicular Joint Separations of All Injury Grades. In Press. Orthop J Sports Med. 2020.
- Shah SS, Gentile J, Chen X, Kontaxis A, Dines DM, Warren RF, Taylor SA, Jahandar A, Gulotta LV. Influence of Implant Design and Parasagittal Acromial Morphology on Acromial and Scapular Spine Strain
after Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty: A Cadaveric and Computer Based Biomechanical Analysis. In Press. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2020. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2020.04.004
- Taylor SA, Shah SS, Chen X, Gentile J, Gulotta LV, Dines JS, Dines DM, Cordasco FA, Warren RF, Kontaxis A. Scapular Ring Preservation: Coracoacromial Ligament Transection Increases Scapular Spine Strains Following Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty. In Press. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2020. DOI: 10.2106/JBJS.19.01118
- Shah SS, Sahota S, Denard P, Provencher MT, Parsons BO, Hartzler RU, Dines JS. Variability in total shoulder arthroplasty planning software compared to a control CT-derived 3D printed scapula. Shoulder & Elbow. 2019. https://doi.org/10.1177/1758573219888821
- Shah SS, Testa EJ, Gammal I, Sullivan J, Gerland R, Goldstein J, Sheridan B, Mashura M, Shah AS, Goodwillie A, Cohn RM. Hip Range of Motion: Which plane of motion is more predictive of lower extremity injury in elite soccer players? A Prospective Study. Accepted. Journal of Surgical Orthopaedic Advances. 28(3):1–8, 2019.
- Shah SS, Shah AS, Chadayammuri V, McGill M, Wei N, Tuckman DV, Sgaglione NA. Arthroscopic Knotless Rotator Cuff Repair: Factors Associated with Construct Selection and Recent Trends from a Manual Review of 1617 cases. Journal of Orthopaedics. 2018; 15 (1), 216-221. (PMID: 29657471)
- Shah SS, Pandit S, Parikh Z, Schwartz J, Goldstein T, Lavelle LP, Liang H, Grande DA. Optimization of Degradation Profile for New Scaffold in Cartilage Repair. Cartilage. 2018 Oct; 9(4):438-449. doi: 10.1177/1947603517700954. Epub 2017 Apr 11. (PMID: 28399641)
- Stein SM, Shah SS, Carcich A, McGill M, Gammal I, Langino M, Mauri T. A Novel Approach to Improving Patient Experience in Orthopaedics. Am J Medical Quality. 2017 Nov/Dec; 32(6): 655-660. (PMID: 28693329)
- Goodwillie A, Shah SS, McHugh M, Nicholas SJ. The Effect of Post-Operative KT-1000 Score on Long-Term Outcome after Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2017 Jun; 45(7): 1522-1528. (PMID: 28277739)
- Shah SS, Satin AM, Mullen JR, Merwin S, Goldin M, Sgaglione NA. Impact of recent guideline changes on aspirin prescribing after knee arthroplasty. J Orthop Surg Res. 2016; 11(1):123. (PMID: 27765053)
Selected Book Chapters
- Alnusif N, Shah SS, Mithoefer K. Return to sport following cartilage treatment: where is the evidence? Cartilage Injuries of the Knee: State-of-the-Art Treatment and Controversies, 1st Edition. Wiesel SW, editor. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg Publishing. Heidelberg, Germany. 2020
- Shah SS, Scopp J, Mithoefer K. Microfracture Chondroplasty: Next Generation. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery, 3rd edition. Wiesel SW, editor. Wolters Kluwer Publishing. Philadelphia, PA. 2020
- Shah SS, Curtis AS. Case Chapter: 22-year-old Female Tennis Player with Left Shoulder Pain. Mechanics, Pathomechanics, and Injury in the Overhead Athlete: A Case Based Approach to Evaluation, Diagnosis, and Treatment. Kibler WB, Sciascia AD, editors. Springer Publishing, New York, NY. 2019
- Shah SS, Dines JS, Dines DM. Bone Grafting for B2/B3 Glenoid. Shoulder Surgery: Tricks of the Trade. Dines J, Dines D, Gulotta L, editors. Thieme Publishing, New York, NY. 2019. ISBN 9781626235168